Sunday 3 October 2010

On Writing ... and 'That' Novel ...

On Writing …

How much practise writing should one do? How do you measure improvement other than winning writing or poetry competitions? How many short stories must you write before you feel experienced enough to take on a novel? I see poets and writers getting out there and performing their stuff. I could do that. Market myself? Maybe.

My friend once said to me that I was scared of success. I’ve thought about her comment many times and often found her to be right. Although I’m an outgoing person, I was too shy to be in the public eye. But with recent opportunities, I’ve built up my confidence and ready to take on more public spaces. But now I find, where my novel is concerned, I lack confidence. I’ll admit it, I’m scared of failure. Is this why people write a few chapters into the novel and give up? Is it because they run out of ideas? Or is it because the prospect of finding an agent is like winning the lottery? Okay, people say if you’ve something great to say, to put in print, you’ll always find an agent / publisher, but surely it’s like finding a needle in a haystack? Maybe networking and industry contacts might be the only way. This clearly isn’t going to happen overnight. There would be workshops, readings, festivals to attend, which all sound interesting and positive. But I continue to wonder why so many authors seem to move to London?

Well, I’ve finally decided to stop entering poetry and short story competitions for some considerable time … and get on with ‘that’ novel. I keep telling myself I just need to dive in and get on with it ... carry on with it until it's finished.

I know I’ve said this before … but I’m determined not to get distracted this time. I promise my recent distraction was definitely genuine, involving a long, relatively unexpected hospital stay and an even longer recuperation period. I’m pleased to say that the anaesthetic has worn off at last and my brain is beginning to kick in again.

I’ve been going over chapter 2, which is the back-story to main character, Verity, Edward’s wife. I am concerned that the tone is quite different to Edward in chapter 1; obviously because she is a woman, but I feel she is too ineffective, and her backstory too twee, so will do some work on this before I let you have a peek at it.

Or maybe, I should just publish it and you decide ... I'll just check it over first ...

Gillian

1 comment:

  1. Hi hope you're well on-the-mend. You mention networking in reference to finding an agent - not sure how you're getting on with twitter and/or facebook as a medium to achieve exactly this. I've found both to be very powerful and successful networking tools. Hope the re-read of Chap 2 is going well...

    ReplyDelete